To help kids keep up their penmanship and work on their storytelling skills, we’ve put together a few Valleyfair-inspired writing prompts for them to try at home. Once a day, have them sit down in a quiet place and write about one of the scenarios here!
For younger kids, remind them to use these narrative structures:
Story progression with “First…/ Then…/ Next…/ Finally….
Don’t forget fun details!
For older kids who could turn these into fictional narratives, have them consider their key story elements:
What’s the setting? (Time, season, place?)
Characters (How many and who are they?)
What’s the problem? (How will the characters solve the problem, will they change?)
1. What’s your best memory of Valleyfair? What happened, when was it and who was there? Why is it your best memory?
2. Valleyfair’s first mascot was Colonel Oompahpah. If you were chosen to create a mascot for Valleyfair, what would its name be? What does the mascot look like?
3. You hop behind the steering wheel of one of our Antique Autos and suddenly you’re transported to the North Shore! Where else are you traveling to on your Minnesota road trip? What do you get to see? Who are you bringing with you?
4. You’ve been asked to design a ride for Valleyfair. What kind of ride will you create? What will it look like and how will it work? What will it be made of? What will it be called?
5. What’s your favorite food to get at Valleyfair? Talk about why you like it. If you don’t have one, make one up! Get creative and give it a fun name!
6. You come to the park one day and pick up a park map, only you discover it’s a very special map – a treasure map and the treasure is here at Valleyfair! X marks the spot. Where is it and what do you do? Is someone else looking for this treasure, too?
7. Write a story combining these things: Wild Thing, funnel cakes and Snoopy.
8. You can visit Valleyfair at any time of the year you want! When do you choose to visit – in the summer or is it the winter with snow? Is it a holiday? Your birthday? Describe how the park looks in the season you’ve chosen to visit!
9. You go to take a ride on the Carousel but before getting on, the ride attendant tells you that you have magical powers to change the horses into any animal you want! What animal would you choose to ride on the Carousel and why? What’s the name of your animal?
10. What’s your favorite ride at Valleyfair and why? What does it feel like to ride it? Were you ever scared to ride it? How did you overcome your fear?
Share your wonderful story creations with us on social media! Be sure to tag us @ValleyfairMN and we will share your thrilling tales on our channels.
Post a Comment
Take Class Outside with Valleyfair's Youth Programs
Get ready for all new AWESOME in 2020!
Meet Former Navy SEAL - Dan McKeon
Preparing Valleyfair for Winter
Favorite Moments from 2019
Valleyfair Earns Certified Autism Center™ Designation
Spooky Menu at Surly Boowery for ValleySCARE
Halloween Help from Goodwill
New Treats (No Tricks) at The Great Pumpkin Fest
Halloween Haunt Bringing Fresh Frights in 2019